Essential Oils? Here's Everything You Need to Know About Getting Started
Essential oils have become quite the ‘thing’ of late. What with the pressure of life and the need to de-stress, the appetite to live a life that is more healthy, sustainable and organic, there’s no wonder that we’re searching for ways to help support us. But, are they just another fad, or is there magic in essential oils?
With millions of advocates worldwide, something tells us that this is more than just a fad, yet the only way to know, is to test it for yourself. So, I did.
Whilst on the path of exploring how I could strengthen my spiritual practice, I was first introduced to essential oils by my spiritual mentor. I’d started to hear the whisper of people talk about essential oils, but apart from the oil burner I had growing up, and a little lavender to help me sleep, I really had no idea what all the fuss was about. In just a short sniff of Wild Orange and a dab of Frankincense later, I was hooked. I then quickly realised that the oils would play a broader role beyond my spiritual practice—a gift that I would be able to integrate into all aspects of my life. I did some research and discovered the brand Doterra, and to say it has been life-changing would be an understatement. The definition of Doterra is ‘Gift of the Earth’, so pretty fitting really.
Six months on from my discovery, and my collection of oils has grown from my little starter kit of ten to around fifty—and there isn't a single day I'm not reaching into my collection for one reason or another.
On a spiritual and emotional level, the oils have become integral to the development of my own intuitive practice, yet they also serve as a wonderful way to support my clients as part of the emotional and energy work I do within my coaching (I’m the founder of The Roar Truth—a business to motivate you and guide you to reach your goals). Being able to use the oils to assist in healing emotions, past hurt, and the beliefs that keep us stuck, is an incredibly powerful exercise and one I highly recommend. What’s even more wonderful, is that absolutely anyone can do this. I regularly lean on the book Emotions & Essential Oils ($27), which provides valuable guidance on which oils to best utilise for the practice of releasing energy and healing emotions.
On a practical level, the oils are integrated into my life in just about every capacity you can think of. Their beautiful aromas are diffused daily to bring energy and calm into my home, they are present in self-made household cleaning and washing products. I incorporate the oils into some of my cooking and baking, and into my skin routine. (A couple of tablespoons of coconut oil infused with a few drops of your favourite oils, and you can create a hydrating tonic for your skin. And believe me, people will be asking you why you smell so incredible!)
What’s more, the oils all have multiple uses whether it be emotional, wellbeing, cleansing, energetic, topical, internal or diffusing (the list goes on). You just need to find the right oil, for the right purpose.
Some of my favourite oils to work with are:
- Frankincense: Promotes feelings of peace, overall wellness, and relaxation.
- Clary Sage: Helps with rejuvenation and calming of the skin, and works to promote a restful night’s sleep.
- Grapefruit: Provides an uplifting environment due to its invigorating and energising aroma, and can also improve the appearance of blemishes.
- Citrus Oils: An uplifting and refreshing aroma that will energise your space and mind.
- Wintergreen: The soothing and stimulating properties are perfect for a post-exercise massage.
- Lavender: One of the most versatile oils for your collection, Lavender can be used to relieve tension, and pain, and be used to help sleeplessness, and even as a disinfectant.
So now you’ve been introduced to the magic of essential oils, what’s next?
Here’s my top five tips to getting started with the oils.
- Build your collection slowly. I started with one of Doterra’s introductory enrolment kits. I started with the Home Essentials Kit, which included a beautiful nightlight Petal Diffuser and ten of the most popular oils.
- Allow yourself to be guided by your intuition and choose the oils you use and purchase by what feels good to YOU.
- Be curious with the oils. There are so many resources available to help you build your knowledge. Great sources for all your needs include Facebook groups, Pinterest and Google plus the wonderful Modern Essentials app which provides a comprehensive guide to the therapeutic use of essential oils.
If you’re curious to learn more, contact me for a personal session.