January 20, 2014Entertaining
Your New Go-To Lemon Bar Recipe
This is a great recipe because it allows you to add your own twist. I like the combination of lemon and raspberry with almonds, but you could make lemon bars with blackberry jam and a walnut crust, or lime and peach bars with a pecan crust. Basically, this is your new go-to lemon bar recipe that you can twist around any way you like.
(makes one 9" x 13" pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Grease a 9" x 13" glass baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving at least a few inches hanging over the ends.
3. Grease the paper (this ensures the bars stay intact when you slice them).
4. For the crust, work together the flour, almond flour, butter, and powdered sugar until it forms a dough.
5. Spread it on the bottom of your greased dish and pat down so it's evenly distributed. Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Keep warm.
6. For the filling, whisk together the eggs and sugars until fully combined and a pale yellow hue.
7. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
8. Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) and whisk until just combined.
9. Spread the raspberry jam over the bottom of the crust.
10. Pour the lemon filling over the still warm crust and bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes.
11. Cool completely, then pull out the bars by the ends of the parchment paper, and transfer to a cutting board. Slice and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Do you have a tried and true recipe for lemon bars? Share your secrets in the comments below. For more baking know-how, head to the Kitchy Kitchen.
Photographs: Claire Thomas
|Cute but not cutesy, these simple black and white dessert plates are the perfect way to serve this tea-time treat. Black Dot Dessert Plate, $18, Schoolhouse Electric.|
|for the filling: 4 eggs 1/3 cup lemon juice 1 teaspoon lemon zest 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup white sugar 1 cup brown sugar, packed 1/4 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup raspberry jam powdered sugar for dusting||for the crust: 1 1/2 cups flour 1/2 cup almond flour 8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 cup powdered sugar|