5 Ways to Job Search During the Holiday Break
Although many people are on vacation now—during the week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve—some hard-working souls are heading into the office. If you’ve spent the past couple of months searching for a job, but haven’t received any worthwhile offers yet, don’t give up during the break. Instead Money is recommending that you continue the search: “Not everyone is taking time off, so you can catch people when they’re not as busy. If your New Year’s resolution is getting a new job, you don’t have to wait till January 1 to get started.” Job searchers should use this quiet time to their advantage. Here’s how.
- Check in with existing leads. Send a polite holiday email and quickly check in with your contacts. Build a friendly rapport by asking about their New Year’s plans and remind your prospects that you are around and ready and willing to meet up. If you have relationships with recruiters, check in with them to see if they have any new leads.
- Circle back to previous leads. If you met with a company earlier in the year, but the get together didn’t lead to an offer, circle back. You never know: The person that they hired could not be working out. Perhaps they put the search on hold then, but have plans to start it again in the new year. “Companies, just like you and me, make New Year’s resolutions (couched as business targets, but it’s the same idea). If you catch them while they’re optimistically making plans about how much will get done in 2016, you may get to be part of those plans,” writes Caroline Ceniza-Levine.
- Catch people you previously could not reach. The people who are working this week are probably hoping to catch up on things and one of those things could be networking with you.
- Use down time to research new leads. Use this quiet time to research companies and people you may want to work for. Look for organisations that have big growth plans for 2016 on the agenda. Check in with old friends who have recently started new jobs to see if there are any openings at their company.
- Refresh your passive leads. Update your LinkedIn profile, edit your résumé, and review your job board listings. When the busyness of January begins, you be ready to hit the ground running.
Give your work look a refresh by investing in a stylish new laptop case.
Are you job searching now? How is it going?