December 2, 2013Entertaining
Recipe of the Week: Roasted Curried Carrot Salad with Raisins and Pine Nuts
Carrots and spice are a natural pairing. Just think of carrot cake, or carrot-ginger anything. Here, the curry vinaigrette cuts through the sweetness of the carrots, and the pop of raisins and crunch of pine nuts add a little bit of texture to this warm salad.
1. Drizzle the carrots with olive oil and salt. Roast at 425º for 20-30 minutes, depending on size (you want them golden brown at the edges and tender when pierced with a fork).
2. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by toasting the spices, whole, in a small saucepan over medium heat until fragrant (about a minute).
3. Grind them up (I use a pepper mill I've set aside for this, or a mortar and pestle), and combine all of the ingredients in a smaller container with a lid (I just use a plastic container or an empty jar) and shake. Set aside.
4. Warm a small sauté pan over medium heat, add the pine nuts, and cook until barely toasted and fragrant (about 2-3 minutes). Add the raisins and the vinaigrette, cooking for about a minute, just until warm.
5. Drizzle everything over the roasted carrots and finish with the chopped mint.
For more culinary inspiration head over to the Kitchy Kitchen
Photographs: Claire Thomas
|How gorgeous are these gold serving utensils? They're the perfect festive touch for whatever side you're serving, but I think they pair perfectly with this salad. Matte Gold Serving Utensils, $28, Schoolhouse Electric|
|6 carrots, peeled, cut in half crosswise, then quartered 2 tablespoons olive oil pinch of kosher salt 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts 1/2 cup raisins 3 tablespoons curry vinaigrette 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped||For the vinaigrette: 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon curry powder 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder pinch cinnamon 1 garlic clove, minced kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste|