30 Awesome Things to Do When You Are 30
When I turned 30, like most people, I had the initial, "Oh my god I’m turning 30!" freakout. I panicked and cried, planned and threw a massive birthday party, and then, I made a list. I decided to embrace my 30th year by writing a list of 30 fabulous things that I wanted to experience or achieve over the next 12 months that would make the year really fun (rather than make me stress about not having checked all the age-appropriate boxes). While my list included to-dos that were specific to my life—master the art of caramel making, go to the ballet—I’ve put together a more general list to inspire you. Congrats, you’re 30! It’s time to stop complaining about being older; instead, make a list, seize the day, and have some fun.
- Spend the weekend in an American city you've never visited.
- Read a classic you’ve always wanted to read, but never got around to.
- Fall in love.
- If you're single, make out with someone who is scandalously young, like a recent college grad.
- Host a dinner party.
- Buy a nice piece of furniture.
- Get rid of your roots! Go natural, or close to it.
- Invest in face and hand creams. Use them often. Your 40-year-old self will thank you.
- Step up your booze game: Get top shelf! You've been drinking charcoal-filtered long enough.
- Buy one piece of nice jewellery for yourself.
- Save money! Your 2000 Jetta will eventually break down and you will need to get a new car.
- Keep exercising! Keep your routine, you will regret it if you don’t.
- Buy and use cloth napkins.
- Say thank you when people compliment you.
- Start a wine cellar—even if it’s in the back of your hallway closet. Invest in lesser-known bottles when wine tasting and store to enjoy at a later date.
- Drink more water.
- Make cocktails with fresh-picked citrus—think daiquiris or margaritas with limes, greyhounds with grapefruit, or sidecars with lemons.
- Print your favourite photos, frame them, and display them elegantly in your home.
- Get rid of any tired underwear—now matter how comfortable they are. If they have holes in them or are stained, throw them away.
- Write and send thank you cards.
- Use proper glasses: flutes or coupes for sparkling wine, pint glasses for beer, etc.
- Bake a cake from scratch for a friend who is turning 30, too.
- Take a lesson (golf, pasta making, calligraphy, whatever).
- Swim in the ocean.
- Go on a road trip to visit an old friend.
- Bring a friend a surprise bouquet of flowers for no reason at all.
- On a super sunny day, plan an impromptu picnic in a local park.
- Try a new hairstyle.
- Call your mum at least three times a week. She’s getting older, too.
- Wake up everyday and remember: You are perfectly fine just the way you are.
?Find more of Katie Sweeney's expert entertaining and cooking advice at Six Twists.
What would you add to this list? What are you looking forward to doing, or what did you enjoy doing in your 30th year? Share in the comments below!