How One Woman Started a Business While Juggling Family and a Full-Time Job
Nothing is impossible—just ask Nagina Sethi Abdullah, who decided four years ago to start her own online company, Masala Body, while she was working as a management consultant and raising two kids under the age of three with her husband. Her goal? Eventually being able to leave her full-time gig to pursue her brand (and have more time for her children). In a piece she wrote for Business Insider, Sethi Abdullah shares her tips and tricks for keeping her head above water during the process. Here is the some of the advice she shared:
1. Prioritise your life. Start by getting rid of any extracurricular activities not related to your job or family, but remember this is just short-term. This step alone gave Sethi Abdullah seven more hours a week to focus on her budding company.
2. Use weekends and vacation days wisely. Devote one day a weekend and a couple of full weekends to your project. These long periods of time allow you to truly focus.
3. Learn to be productive. Learn to sneak mini brainstorming sessions in while commuting or to wake up half an hour early a few days a week. You’ll be surprised what a few tweaks will do.
4. Focus on one goal at a time. Don’t get bogged down with too many things at once. By focusing on one key item at a time, you’ll be able to cross everything off your list more quickly.
5. Involve friends and family. Ask those closest to you for advice or for help testing out work-related processes. No one said work couldn’t be fun!
Pick up a day planner for easy scheduling, and tell us how you juggle important things in your life below.