21 Things to Do on a Long Weekend in and Around Sydney
The much-anticipated long weekend is fast approaching. And we're taking it as three days of utter bliss and something that serves as the perfect little treat at this time of year. If like us, you're wanting to make the most of the extra day, we've got on main suggestion: Plan ahead. While it's all well and good to go with the flow and see how you feel, the truth is, though you have the best intentions, Saturday morning will quickly roll into Monday evening, and have you wondering where your precious time went.
There's been a lot of office banter surrounding the action plan for this mini respite, and some of them are just too good not to share. So, if you're an introvert and are looking for close-to-home activities that require zero makeup and small talk, or are in the mood for social activities that include your girl crew and a fabulous outfit to match, see below for some of the plans our editors have jotted down in their diaries.
Keep scrolling to see all of our plans and to be inspired.
- I'll be spring cleaning my closet Mari Kondo-style—the hub and I are attempting to cut down on junk before family member three joins us.
- Getting a prenatal massage at Venustus. Venustus is my happy place and I can't think of a better way to kick off a long weekend.
- Driving to Palmy with the dog for a day in the sun. Fish and chips on the beach = bliss.
I'm heading up the coast to my bf's place in Port Stephens, so after I battle traffic:
- I will go for breakfast and order the mushrooms at In House Kitchen.
- Hike up Tomaree Mountain.
- I also plan to get some life admin done by rearranging my skincare cabinet, watch Cowspiracy, and do all of my washing.
I'm quite the nanna these days, and living in Cronulla is the perfect remedy for escaping the Sydney bustle.
- I'm planning an epic Saturday brunch at my local café, Blackwood Pantry.
- Sundays are usually reserved for meal-prep, but with an extra day, I'm planning on doing a bushwalk around Bundeena.
- Monday will be my Sabbath, I am hoping to finally finish The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
- I'll be heading to the markets in Rozelle and brunch with friends in Balmain.
- Watching the football on Sunday at the local pub with my friends from Townsville—it's Broncos vs. Cowboys!
- Going for a hike, although I haven't decided where yet.
I've got a fun weekend in the works:
- Friday night drinks with my sister, who is visiting from Perth, at the Henry Deane Rooftop Bar at Hotel Palisade.
- Watching the AFL grand final and having a punt at the TAB Epsom Race Day at Royal Randwick—double the sport, double the fun.
- Heading to Sephora to stock up on all of the Byrdie Curated Beauty Award recommendations for my skin type.
- To ring in the long weekend my boyfriend and I are planning to wine and dine at Fratelli Fresh on Friday night. Pizza is my absolute favourite food so I can't think of a better way to unwind from the work week. Afterwards, we're meeting up with my best friend at nearby at Palmer & Co for a cheeky cocktail (or two).
- On Saturday, I have big plans to sleep in and paint my nails, and then at night I'll be catching up with some girlfriends, most probably in Balmain (we like to start off at the cosy Corner Bar in Rozelle, before bar-hopping our way down Darling St).
- If the sun is shining on Sunday, I'd love to go to the beach. My boyfriend and I always go to South Mona Vale, where there are never any crowds (unlike most Sydney beaches!). He'll surf and I'll read a magazine, then we might head to The Newport for lunch. I also really want to see the new Kingsman movie, so we'll probably end the day at the cinemas.