Sleep Hygiene: 5 Habits for a Better Bedtime Routine
A successful night's sleep is precious and for many it's sometimes few and far between. And though our bodies adapt to receiving less and less rest, everyone deserves a chance at conquering a deep, sound sleep.
Like any hygiene habit (brushing your teeth, showering, etc.), it's important to take the proper approach toward sleep. Prepping yourself and your space could be the key to some serious shut-eye. No sleeping pills necessary. Consider these five tips before slipping under the sheets:
- Take time to make your bed each morning (it's only an extra minute or two) to create a clean and orderly environment for when it comes time to climb into bed. A peaceful space yields peaceful sleep.
- Wash your sheets once a week to keep bacteria and germs at bay. No one sleeps well when sick with a cold, or even worse, the flu.
- Savor a warm shower before bed (even if you skip washing your hair to save time) to relax the body and calm the mind. This evening ritual provides a few uninterrupted minutes to meditate, giving you the chance to reflect on your day and clear your head before bed. If you can’t fit in a full body cleanse, at least soak your feet for the same effect.
- Set up an interruption-free area: switch your phone settings to silent, turn off all lights (or dim to low), get rid of glaring screens, and have a white noise machine or fan (depending on the season) handy if outside noise is inevitable.
- Keep calming essential oils, like lavender, rose, or chamomile, on your nightstand. Dab a few drops on your pillow; inhaling essential oils has therapeutic benefits when it comes to improving the quality of sleep. Tip: Not everyone has the same reaction to essential oils, so test out a few to find the best oil for you.
These tips will help boost your sleep hygiene, bringing you a deeper, more restful night of zzz's, but it's also important to take the time to understand and discover what works best for you and make it a part of your bedtime routine.
Scroll down to shop a few of our favorite sleep-promoting products below.
What are your tips for a better night's sleep? Tell us in the comments below.