Spring Sweet Pea Hummus
|To pop against the vibrant green hummus, I love these simple textured bowls by Christiane Sutherland. Handmade Ceramic Plates, $89 for three, Blue Door Ceramics.|
1 cup frozen peas 2 tablespoons sugar (for boiling peas) 2 tablespoons kosher salt (for boiling peas) 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, strained with liquid reserved 1/4 cup greek yogurt 2 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 cup cilantro leaves 1/2 teaspoon cumin 2 tablespoons tahini 2 tablespoons lemon juice salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil a quart of water, add the tablespoons of sugar and kosher salt.
2. Add the peas, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender and bright green.
3. Drain peas, and toss into a bowl of ice water for a few minutes to stop the cooking process.
4. In a food processor, combine strained peas, garbanzo beans, yogurt, garlic, cilantro, cumin, tahini, and lemon juice.
5. Puree until smooth and thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. If you want it thicker, add a bit of olive oil as you puree. To make it thinner, add the cooking liquid from the garbanzo beans or plain water.
7. Serve with your favourite veggies and pita!
For more appetizer ideas and recipe inspiration, head to The Kitchy Kitchen.
Photographs: Claire Thomas