The Classic Aussie Dessert Your Friends Will Want to Instagram
No Australia Day is complete without a plate brimming with lamingtons—the fluffy, buttery cake wrapped in a thin layer of chocolate and sprinkled with a coating of coconut is a quintessential Aussie treat. But this year we’re taking the iconic dessert to another level of deliciousness and combining it with another favourite sweet treat—the classic Victoria sponge.
Say hello to the lamington sponge cake (*drool*). A delicious hybrid of two of our favourite sweet treats, this recipe from Bulla is one we suggest you get closely acquainted with tomorrow, for your tastiest Australia Day yet. If you’re planning on a cooking up a feast, add this pretty dessert to a spread of these iconic Australia dishes. Scroll on, your kitchens (and taste buds) are calling.
LAMINGTON VICTORIA SPONGE
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tbsp. milk
40g butter, cubed
1 cup plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
¼ cup water
½ cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
1 ½ tbsp. cocoa, sifted
1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
1/3 cup raspberry jam
2 x 300ml whipping Cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 22cm round cake tin with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar for approximately five minutes until pale and thickened.
2. Place milk and butter in a microwave-proof bowl and cook on High for 45 seconds or until butter is just melted.
3. Sift the flours together twice and gently fold into the egg mixture without over-mixing. Gradually pour milk mixture down the side of the mixing bowl and fold until well incorporated.
4. Pour sponge mixture into prepared cake tin and cook for 25-30 minutes or until just golden and cooked. Allow the mixture to cool for five minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Refrigerate covered until required.
5. For the chocolate coating, place chocolate and water in a microwave-proof bowl and cook on high for 45-50 seconds until chocolate is melted. Whisk in the sifted icing sugar and cocoa until smooth. Allow to sit for five-10 minutes until it reaches a spreadable consistency. Spread chocolate mixture all over the chilled sponge and sprinkle with the coconut. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
6. Cut sponge in half lengthways and spread the bottom cut side with jam and dollop on the whipped cream. Replace top of sponge and serve immediately, or refrigerate until required.
For more crowd-pleasing dessert recipes, shop The Australian Women's Weekly Best Ever Recipes ($39).