The Superfood to Try in 2017, According to Pinterest
With over 13 billion food and drink-related saves on Pinterest, it's safe to say the sharing site is an authority on new and emerging food trends. And according to their official trend report for 2017, the Pinterest 100, jackfruit will be your go-to meat substitute in the new year. As the largest tree fruit in the entire world, jackfruit is packed with protein, potassium, and vitamin B, but only contains 95 calories per half cup. The texture and mild taste of this tree fruit make in the perfect healthy stand-in for meat, especially in nachos or in dishes containing pulled pork. Here's one of Pinterest's most popular jackfruit recipes, Jackfruit Carnitas, created by Yup, It's Vegan!
- 1 tbs. olive oil or other oil of choice
- 1 yellow or white onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and pith removed, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- 2 cans green jackfruit in water or brine, thoroughly rinsed and drained; seeds removed and center "core" pieces chopped
- jackfruit carnitas spice blend (recipe below)
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbs. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- freshly-squeezed lime juice, to taste
For the jackfruit carnitas spice blend:
- ½ tbs. nutritional yeast
- ½ tbs. smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- ½ tbs. dried oregano
- ½ tbs. ground coriander
- ½ tbs. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers along with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
2. If needed, use a towel to pat excess liquid from the jackfruit. Then add the jackfruit to the pan and stir. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 5 to 6 minutes or until the jackfruit has dried out somewhat.
For the full recipe, head over to Yup, It's Vegan!
Do you have any favourite jackfruit recipes? Share them below!