10 Beyond-Simple Ways to Save Money Every Day
Being smarter with our money is always at the top of our be a better person to-do list. It's why we're always touting the latest personal finance apps that make saving, investing, and being less of an all-around mess that much easier. If cutting down on your spending is a top goal for your year, you'll want to pay attention. While making big changes (relocating to more affordable neighborhoods, switching to public transportation, and so on) will certainly jumpstart your efforts, it doesn't have to be that way. When it comes to saving, you don't have to go big or go home. After all, you have to start somewhere, even if that somewhere means going through your gift cards and actually using them, buying snack foods in bulk, or making your own cup of coffee every morning. Read on for 10 beyond-simple ways to save $5 a day. You can totally do it.
1. Cut down on dry cleaning. Your silk blouses don't need the royal treatment after every single wear, we promise.
2. Be realistic about your memberships and subscriptions.Discontinue your gym membership if you can be working out for free, instead. Still signed up for Netflix DVDs but don't actually have a DVD player? You know what to do!
3. Pack your lunch instead of going out with coworkers. Join friends for a late afternoon coffee run, instead.
4. Find, and actually use, all of those gift cards you've been hoarding. The next time you feel the urge to spend, it'll be gratis.
5. Be strategic about grocery shopping. Certain items regularly go on sale. Buy your staple items during these times, even if you don't need a restock yet.
6. Print out your coupons so you can more easily keep track of and use them.
7. Headed to the movies? Pack your own snack foods and beverages.Movie theater concessions are notoriously overpriced.
8. Hold yourself to the task of actually eating your leftovers. Spruce last night's dinner up with some new ingredients and you'll save on an entire meal's worth of money!
9. Make your own dang cup of coffee in the morning. If you're a multi-cup drinker, saving on even one per day is huge.
10. Buy snack foods in bulk. All of those cute individually packaged snacks are more expensive than if you bought in bulk and then portioned out at home.
Want to know how else you can cut down on spending? Visit Business Insider for their list of 20 effortless ways to save.
Your wallet is going to thank you.
How do you save money every day? Share your best tips in the comments.