12 Easy Ways to Live a Healthier Lifestyle
Unless you’ve been living in a cave, you probably know the key ingredients to a healthy lifestyle. Eat more broccoli and barley, drink less vodka and coffee. Sleep, meditate, exercise, don't stress. It’s easy to write all of these things down, but how many of us can say that we are actually practicing these things on a regular basis? I can’t which — is why a recent Elite Daily article caught my eye. Author Ryan Rodal takes a more realistic approach toward healthy habits that is honest and refreshing. “You don’t have to take shots of kale juice or eat quinoa cereal topped with flax seeds to be healthy,” says Rodal. “A few simple changes to the way you eat, and the way you live, will go a long way toward leading an overall healthier lifestyle.” What are the simple changes he recommends making? Here are 12 effortless steps to becoming more healthy.
- Eat mostly unprocessed foods. Your diet should consist of vegetables, fruit, lean meats like chicken and ground turkey, and grains. Avoid processed foods altogether and you’ll be better off.
- Walk when possible. Stop being lazy! Walk whenever possible.
- Drink less often. Limit heavy binge drinking to once a week. It’s not only better for your liver, but it’s better for your wallet, too.
- Bring your lunch to work. Pack a salad or sandwich or last night’s leftovers. Like drinking, you’ll save money and cut back on calories.
- Take vacations. Or a sick day! You have your whole life to work.
- Stay away from negativity.
- End toxic relationships and friendships. People who are bringing you down should be cut off.
- Take time away from technology. A daily digital break is a good thing.
- Participate in physical activities. Take a hike. Go for a swim. Hop on a bike. “Physical activity relieves both physical and mental stress,” says Rodal.
- Read more. Read anything, but just read. It stimulates the brain.
- Pick up a new hobby. Having interests outside of family and work will make you feel more fulfilled.
- Don’t care about what other people think. In the words of the wise Taylor Swift, “haters gonna hate,” so don’t waste your time worrying about the haters. Or the fakers.
Bring your lunch to work in a cooler-like lunchbox.
What are your ways to practice healthy living?