7 Easy Ways to Be More Likeable
As human beings, it’s only natural for us to want to be well-liked. However, with the rise of social media and the ability to like everything from videos to actual people, being likable is more important than ever. While it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what makes a person more likable, Inc. has created a list of seven things well-liked people always do. Start doing these things today and you can make yourself a more magnetic, attractive, and likeable person.
- Don’t judge. Nobody likes being judged, so make a conscious choice not to judge other people. Make rational decisions based on data and results rather than emotional reactions to personalities.
- Get personal. Be vulnerable. Don’t be afraid to get personal and share details of your life, both the good and the bad. The key is to tell your issues without dwelling on them.
- Ask people about themselves. Focus on the people that you are conversing with. Ask questions that prompt them to tell you more about themselves. This will build a strong relationship and your own likeability.
- Listen. Be an active listener and respond to what people are saying with questions, conversation reinforcements, and nonverbal prompts. Make the other person feel important by looking at them and not your smart phone or computer screen.
- Remember. In order to remember, you’ve got to be good at listening. Remember significant facts about a person’s life. This shows that you value the time spent with other people. Remember people’s birthdays, milestones, and anniversaries.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Laugh, make jokes, have fun. Surprise people, have an unorthodox business meeting, and be light-hearted.
- Be hospitable. Open up your home or office to someone. Invite them in for a meal or coffee as this act never goes unnoticed.