5 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes Pinterest Readers Are Obsessed With
Thanks to the health food movement and innovative food bloggers, the words "healthy" and "comfort food" now exist in the same sentence. It's possible to find low-calorie options brimming with nutritious ingredients while also promising to keep you satiated and satisfied. It goes without saying that these comforting yet healthy dishes are a big hit—so much so that Pinterest is nearly bursting at the seams with hearty, superfood-packed, healthy comfort food recipes that are perfect for any time of the year.
We sifted through these delicious and nutritious recipes to find our favourites. The following five pins from Love and Lemons, Pinch of Yum, The First Mess, Cafe Delites, and Julia's Album stood out in particular, both in terms of their sheer circulation as well as their mouthwatering imagery. Whip up one or all five of these recipes, and enjoy all the comfort without the calories all summer long.
Head below for five healthy comfort food recipes Pinterest readers are obsessed with.
Vegan butternut squash–stuffed shells
- Cubed butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Jumbo shells
- Fresh baby spinach
- Crumbled tofu
- Dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the butternut squash with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
For the full recipe, head over to Love and Lemons.
Burst Tomato and Zucchini Spaghetti With Avocado Sauce
- Yellow and red cherry tomatoes
- Zucchini, spiralized
- Whole wheat spaghetti (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh flat leaf parsely
- Green onions
- Garlic clove
- Lemon, juiced
- Blend all sauce ingredients together on pulse until smooth and set aside.
- Heat cherry tomatoes and drizzle of olive oil in large skillet until roasted and skins split, then remove from heat. Add zucchini to same pan and toss for two minutes, then add the avocado sauce and toss until combined. Season to taste.
For the full recipe, head over to Pinch of Yum.
Super Savoury Veggie, Hemp, and Millet Nuggets
- Cook millet
- Hulled hemp seeds
- Psyllium husk powder
- Nutritional yeast
- Grainy mustard
- Avocado Oil
- Broccoli and carrots, grated
- Small shallots, peeled
- Fresh rosemary, minced
- Ground Turmeric
- Lemon zest
- Cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200° C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with oil then set aside.
- Combine the millet with water and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan and simmer until all water is absorbed and grains are fluffy.
- Heat the avocado oil in a medium pan then sauté broccoli, carrots, and shallots. Season with salt and pepper then add rosemary, turmeric, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper.
- Prepare millet in a food processor with the cooked vegetable mixture, hemp seeds, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, and grainy mustard.
- Form nuggets and line on baking sheet, then bake 22 minutes, flipping the nuggets at the halfway mark.
For the full recipe, head over to The First Mess.
Butternut squash and spinach lasagna
- Butternut squash puree
- Ricotta cheese
- Cooked spinach
- Garlic cloves
- Gluten-free lasagna noodles
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare a baking dish. Grease the lasagna dish lightly with olive oil spray. Spread 1/3 of butternut squash filling on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked lasagna noodles without overlapping.
- Spread half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
For the full recipe, head over to Julia's Album.
Twice-baked chicken fajita sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- Olive oil
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Cooked chicken breast, sliced into 1-inch strips
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Yellow, green, and red bell peppers, sliced
- Black beans, washed and rinsed
- Ground cumin
- Sweet (or smoked) paprika
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Lime, juiced
- Cilantro leaves
- Avocado and salsa to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Spray a baking tray/sheet with nonstick spray, and arrange sweet potatoes the tray. Roast for one hour in the oven, or until soft (check them after 40 minutes, and continue roasting if needed).
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add a small amount of oil to the pan; add the onions to a skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat. Once transparent (about 1 to 2 minutes), add the chicken, garlic, and peppers. Cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the seasonings and continue cooking until chicken is completely coated in the seasonings. Mix the beans through; take off heat and set aside.
For the full recipe, head over to Cafe Delites.
This story was originally published on December 6, 2017 and has been updated.