7 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Pet
For the past week, I’ve been dog sitting my cousin’s adorable Yorkie. Whenever I’m in the kitchen, he’s there standing by eagerly awaiting any scraps that may fall to the floor. However, I don’t really know what sort of human food is ok to feed him. Naturally, when I came across a recent Business Insider video that highlights which foods you should never feed your pets, I had to watch. Certain ingredients that are perfectly ok for humans can be toxic to animals. Here are seven human foods that are dangerous for pets to consume.
1. Macadamia nuts can cause vomiting and hypothermia in dogs.
2. Lemons and limes are too acidic for animals and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.
3. Onions and garlic contain an ingredient that destroys an animals's red blood cells. This can result in anemia.
4. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
5. Cheese and milk. Just like humans, adult dogs and cats can be lactose intolerant.
6. Chocolate—especially dark—contains theobromine, a stimulant found in cocoa beans, that may cause heart problems, vomiting, and seizures in dogs.
7. Avocados can cause heart problems and even death for birds, rabbits, and horses. Other animals may swallow the large pit, which isn’t digestible.
Instead of giving your dog human food that may be harmful, give him a greenie treat to chew on.
Have you ever had a pet get sick from eating one of the above ingredients?