The Top Christmas Tree Trends to Try This Season
With Christmas literally around the corner (14 days and counting!), now is the time (if you haven’t already) to get in the festive spirit, embrace one of the holiday’s best traditions, and adorn your home with a beautiful Christmas tree to celebrate one of the most joyous occasions of the year.
Founder of Papaya, Robyn Connelly, who is the creative behind the brand famed for its beautiful Christmas collections has revealed this year’s top decorating trends and tips on how to embellish your tree like an pro. Scroll down to get the low-down on this year’s Christmas tree trends.
Courtesy of Papaya
Warm burnished metallics in copper, brass, and bronze have been key trends with interiors this season, a theme that translates beautifully for one’s Christmas tree. Opt for a contemporary aesthetic by simply mixing textured and patterned metallics in the form of geometric shaped ornaments, such as hanging copper and black geometric shapes to create a modern, lustrous story. Alternatively, channel a softer celestial theme with delicate stars, hearts, angels, and fairy lights. The beauty about this neutral palette is you can always add a hint of colour to make it suit your home—try rose quartz or a tranquil blue!
Courtesy of Papaya
There is no better time than Christmas to bring the outside into your home as nothing says Christmas more than an abundance of rich, natural greenery. Natural woods, foliage, and flowers in woody tones and crisp white hues are always the perfect combination to create a Scandinavian inspired haven. Simple felt decorations, wooden snowflakes and delicately cut lace stars and shapes team perfectly with white fairy lights to showcase this beautiful trend. This season at Papaya, we have created this trend with our Forest Friends collection with playful wool string reindeer and small felt standing trees offering pieces that can adorn not just the tree but the bench tops around the home.
Courtesy of Papaya
For those yearning for a white Christmas, a pristine white frosted Fir Snow Christmas tree with white and silver hanging stars, snowflakes, angels, and pinecones is a trend to inspire. Soft toning of white, cream and frosted decorations with a hint of champagne and pale pink add for the perfect touch of elegance for this truly classical trend.
Top Christmas decorating tips:
1. Choose your theme—traditional age-old style will naturally opt for the classic festive colour scheme of red, green, and gold, while a more contemporary tree may look to on trend hues of rose gold, crisp white and deep plums.
2. What kind of tree? Conservative is all about a traditional, nostalgic age-old style of Christmas tree and decorations. Progressive will create a fresh, new, and metallic on-trend look. Once you have chosen what kind of tree, you need to choose a style that suits—fresh pine, coloured, handmade—make sure to choose the right one to fit your space and theme!
3. Choose the right Christmas tree for your lifestyle—do you have young children or pets? Bypass the crystal baubles and instead use decorations that are wooden, felt or feathered.
4. It’s all about spacing and layering. Hero ornaments should feature at the front of the tree and at eye level. Layer decorations to create depth and richness to the overall look of the tree. Hanging ornaments such as the pine and twig decoration from the Nutcracker collection are a great way to add dimension to your tree.
5. Repurpose ornaments—shiny bauble ornaments don’t just look good on trees; they make for a lovely holiday centrepiece tucked neatly into a bowl full of green foliage.
6. Location, location, location! Place you tree in the best-positioned low-traffic corner but still pride of place in the room.
Shop a selection of our favourite Christmas ornaments below.