May 13, 2013Décor
Bloody Mary Four Ways
The Bloody Mary may be touted as a hangover brunch cure-all, but I honestly just like how it tastes, especially in the summertime. When it comes to making my own, I prefer a bright, fresh tomato flavour with a hit of sriracha to give it a little kick. The flavour profile is so versatile that I thought, why not see what else I can do with it? So I embellished a fresh gazpacho, a shrimp cocktail, and a spicy tomato topping for fresh oysters, all from the same recipe. Bottoms up!
1. Muddle the cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and spices.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and shake with ice.
3. Garnish with celery stalk.
1. Strain and drizzle the Bloody Mary on top of the oysters.
2. Add sriracha for heat, or a squeeze of lemon for brightness.
1. Blitz everything together in a blender or food processor to desired consistency. For a super-smooth soup, push through a strainer.
2. Garnish with sriracha.
1. Add the bay leaf, lime, garlic, salt and chilli powder to a pot filled with 4 quarts of water. Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
2. Add shrimp, cooking 1 1/2 minutes or until bright pink.
3. Transfer shrimp with a slotted spoon into a bowl of ice water. Serve with gazpacho as cocktail sauce.
Photograph: Claire Thomas
|Muddlers tend to look like mini baseball bats--a little clunky and utilitarian. These hardwood muddlers are hand-turned, meaning each has its own look and design. They're so pretty and modern, and make for the perfect addition to your bar cart. $15, Canoe|
|Ingredients 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves 1 pinch kosher salt 1 pinch cumin 1 pinch celery seed||1 ounce vodka 1/2 teaspoon sriracha 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 tablespoon pickle or olive brine 1 stalk celery|
|Ingredients 1/2 dozen oysters, shucked||1 Bloody Mary squeeze of lemon (optional)|
|Ingredients 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved 6 large tomatoes, chopped 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped, plus more for garnish 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1/2 teaspoon celery seed 2 teaspoons sriracha||1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup lime juice 2 tablespoons pickle or olive brine 2 Japanese cucumbers, chopped 1 bell pepper, chopped 1 mango, peeled and chopped 2 large cloves garlic, peeled|
|Ingredients 4 quarts water 1 bay leaf 1 lime, halved||1 clove garlic, finely minced 1/2 teaspoon ancho chilli powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 lbs shrimp (16 to 18 count), peeled and deveined, tails intact|