12 Excellent Pieces of Advice You Need to Stop Ignoring
Do you ever find yourself doling out great advice to a friend but not taking your advice to heart? I do this a lot, so when I came across an Inc. article about excellent pieces of advice that most people ignore, I immediately clicked. “When you hear good advice, you should always do two things: Take it in and pass it on,” writes Lolly Daskal. She then goes on to list 25 gems of sage advice that everyone should stop ignoring. Below are the 12 pieces that most resonated with me. Read them and remind yourself to take them seriously!
1. Know yourself. Figuring out your dreams, standards, convictions, and goals will allow you to live a more meaningful life.
2. Show up fully and be in the present moment. Don’t waste time dwelling on the past or daydreaming about the future.
3. Don’t make assumptions. Wait until you know the entire situation fully, then make an informed opinion.
4. Be patient and persistent. Patience is not one of my virtues and if you don’t like waiting, take a deep breath. Things happen to people at different times. Just because all your friends are getting married doesn’t mean you have to continue dating a deadbeat!
5. Be your best at all times. You never know what will happen in the future, so make the best use of right now.
6. Stop trying to impress everyone. As Daskal puts it, “the unhappiest people are those who care the most about what other people think.”
7. Life is not fair. Stop deluding yourself into thinking that it should be. It’s not.
8. No task is beneath you. Don’t put yourself above anything or anyone. Instead, work hard and let your success make noise.
9. You can’t always get what you want. When I was little, my dad used to play the Rolling Stones song for my siblings and I when we complained about wanting something. As the song says, “If you try, you may find you get what you need.”
10. Don’t worry about what other people think. You do you. Be yourself and be proud of who you are.
11. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Be kind to people.
12. Learn something new every day. You’re never too old to ask questions or learn something new.