18 Grown-Up Party Ideas to Celebrate Another Year of Life
Birthdays are like seasons—some are welcomed with open arms, and other may take a little warming up to. But really and truly, you should be doing something fun for every milestone you hit because what better excuse is there to get all of your favourite people in one room and reminisce about your past year (or years) you’ve spent together?
When you were a kid, it was so easy to pick a favourite theme or place to host your party. There was the dance studio party, the circus theme party, the Little Skittles party (does anyone else remember jumping into those massive piles of rainbow-coloured plastic balls?). As we got older, the themes tended to dwindle and it became “Meet me at that bar we love!” or “Let’s just all do dinner.” And even if it’s not a particularly special year—aka one of the “big ones”—there’s nothing wrong with sending invitations, breaking out the confetti, and just going all out (like kids do) to celebrate. Taking some cues from the little ones, we’ve rounded up 18 totally awesome adult birthday party ideas to celebrate another year. Scroll through, take your pick, and then get planning!
THE GIRLS' NIGHT IN
1. Be in board game bliss. Have everyone come in their pj's and bring their favourite board game from way back when. Dream Phone and Guess Who? are required. And as a throwback, have goody bags for the winners.
2. Host a pampering party. Indulge in DIY facials (or sheet masks) and at-home mani/pedis while watching a movie marathon chosen by the birthday girl.
3. Have a cake swap. Is it worth getting a year older without the frosting and candles? We think not. Ask each guest to forego gifts and bring their favourite cake—and then taste them all. (Side note: This may be our favourite adult birthday party idea ever).
THE COCKTAIL PARTY
1. Host a mixology party. Hire a professional mixologist to craft custom drinks for your friends all night long based on their favourite ingredients. It’ll be just like going to your local speakeasy.
2. Opt for a classy affair. We’re talking suits and stilettos, jazz in the background, and plenty of hors d’oeuvres. Do a champagne toast to thank your guests.
3. Have a wine and cheese night. Research the perfect pairings of cheddar, Cabernet, and so forth. If you want to go all out, offer wine flights to your guests.
THE DRESS-UP PARTY
1. Play hostess at your favourite store. Some boutiques will actually let you throw your birthdayé onsite (as long as some guests purchase things, of course). Are you a shoes girl? Ask to have your fête right in the footwear department.
2. Get dolled up at your place. Tell your friends to wear their favourite party dresses, and then call an at-home beauty concierge service like LUXit to come do hair and makeup. If you decide to go out, great—if not, who cares? It’s all about getting ready together.
3. Have a jewellery-making party where you craft custom pieces together—and take them home.
THE THEMED PARTY
1. Throw a Great Gatsby–themed party. Get out those flapper dresses and rhinestone tiaras, and learn how to do the Charleston together. (The guys will get into this one, too).
2. Have a margherita and margarita party. Most parties are all about the food and this one is no exception. Make homemade margherita pizzas together—and blend margaritas (alcoholic or non). The dress code? Something with drawstrings.
3. Plan a murder mystery soirée. Each guest is assigned a character to dress up as ahead of time; we’re partial to those pre-planned by Night of Mystery. Simply download everything you need in advance and you're good to go. Hollywood, the rodeo, and royal mysteries are all theme options!
THE POOL PARTY
1. Put on a Coachella-themed bash. We’re thinking a flower crown–making station, flash tats, and inflatable floats for days (our favourites are from Sunnylife). A killer playlist won’t hurt, either.
2. Throw a barbecue. Beer, burgers, and hot dogs (and some veggie skewers!). Guests can take a dip whenever they so please, but the food is the star of the show here.
3. Have a luau. This is the time to greet guests with homemade flower leis, craft cocktails in pineapples, and set up your own tiki bar.
THE OUT-OF-THE-BOX PARTY
1. Host a film screening. Rent out a theatre at your local cineplex and ask them to play your favourite movie. Hand out popcorn, candy, slushies, etc., as snacks. (PS: You can also do something similar at your own place).
2. Have a star-gazing party. Ask everyone to meet outside under the stars and pick out their favourite constellations. Guest favours? Name a star after each of your friends.
3. Throw a massive picnic. All you need is a bunch of blankets and your favourite people. Head to the park—ask everyone to pack their own lunch and snacks beforehand. Listen to some tunes and enjoy the sunshine.
Be sure to read about a celeb event planner's best entertaining tips, and tell us which adult birthday party idea you like best in the comments!